This salad was really delicious and had tons of flavor. I made cilantro lime chicken, and spiced the pepitas (pumpkin seeds) with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. For the dressing I used sour cream, lime juice and Cajun spices. Feta Cheese and avocado are a great topping to add healthy fat and extra flavor.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad with Spiced Pepitas
Vibrant flavors and an array of textures make this a recipe for not your average salad.
- 2 chicken breasts
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup Pepitas (pumpkin seeds), roasted 10 minutes in a 1/2 tsp cayenne and a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 4 T sour cream, mixed with a tsp lime juice, and a tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbles
- Combine lime juice, cumin, cilantro, garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Pour over salt and peppered chicken breasts and allow to marinate at least 4 hours.
- Heat a grill or grill pan, and grill mark each chicken breast, then finish cooking in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is 165 degrees internally.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the dressing and pepitas.
- Separate the chopped romaine in to 4 bowls, then top with 1/2 an avocado, a few tomatoes, 2 ounces of feta, and a tablespoon of spiced pepitas.
- When the chicken is cooked, slice it up and add 4 ounces to each salad.