Taco night definitely can fit a low carb lifestyle. I decided to combine ground beef with zucchini, jalapeño and onions to make a skillet style dish, and then used the crisps in place of tortillas. This dish can be made leaner by using ground turkey, and just using the crisps as garnish. One of my favorite aspects of this dish is the coffee spice. This is one of my favorite spices found at Whole Foods, called Maya Coffee Rub, and it really tastes great on any protein.
I topped this with Sartori Chipotle Bellavitano cheese, and made Sartori Asiago crisps on the side, in place of tortillas. Sartori is an award winning Cheese Company out of Wisconsin, that makes some of my favorite cheese! Their Bellavitano cheese comes in tons of interesting flavors, such as, merlot, espresso, balsamic, and Kentucky bourbon, just to name a few. Their cheese is so delicious. With the Bellavitano varieties being my favorite, this was the first time I had tried their shredded Asiago, which I was extremely pleased with. It worked perfectly to create the crisps that really complemented my taco skillet. Bottom line is, Sartori makes excellent cheese in tons of fun varieties and flavors. This brand is found at most specialty cheese counters, such as Murray’s Cheese, which is in many Kroger stores.
Coffee Spiced Taco Skillet with Asiago Crisps
Spice up your taco night with this tasty taco skillet.
- ¾ lb ground beef (or ground turkey for lean protein)
- 1 ½ C zucchini, chopped
- ½ C onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 T Maya Coffee Rub
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Cumin
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t Paprika
- 4 ounces Sartori Bellavitano Chipotle Cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces Sartori Asiago Shredded cheese
- 1 Avocado, sliced for topping
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, then add the vegetables and spices. Stir occasionally.
- While the meat and vegetables cook, make 8 even mounds of the Asiago cheese on a Silpat lined baking sheet. (Parchment paper works, too)
- Bake in the oven about 6 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
- Remove the crisps from oven, allow to cool. They can be a bit greasy, so you can cool them on a paper towel if desired.
- Turn off the heat on the skillet and top with the Chipotle Bellavitano.
- Serve hot, using crisps in place of tortillas, or as garnish with the avocado.