Frittatas are one of my favorite breakfasts. They are so fun to get creative with, and easy to make. They are also great as a prep ahead breakfast, or to take to a brunch. For this one I wanted to use a Sun dried Tomato pesto, which is delicious with eggs. Then I paired it with caramelized onion, asparagus and bacon. The flavors went together beautifully.
Bacon Frittata with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
A delicious frittata, perfect for meal prep or hosting brunch.
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 T cooking oil of your choice
- 1.5 cup onion, diced
- 1.5 cup asparagus, cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- 6 T Barilla Sundried Tomato Pesto
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 5 half slices of tomato, for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon and chop ahead of making frittata.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet, caramelize onions in oil.
- When the onions are caramel color, add asparagus, thyme and oregano. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add bacon and half of the pesto, stirring into the vegetable mix.
- Top with the eggs. Drop the rest of the pesto through out the eggs. Do not stir. Allow the eggs to set around the edges of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the stove top and place in the oven to finish cooking.
- After 10 minutes, add the tomato slices in a pinwheel formation in the center of the frittata. Add extra fresh thyme and oregano for garnish.
- Continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Cut into 6 slices and serve hot!