This recipe is inspired by an amazing trip I took to the Gulf Coast. I visited Biloxi and Ocean Springs, Mississippi, and took a day trip to New Orleans. I completely fell in love with the Gulf Coast, and going to NOLA was something I was able to cross of my bucket list. Every town we spent time in had the most delicious seafood and southern cuisine, fun live music, and a beautiful beach atmosphere. My favorite part was definitely the food, so I had to do a Gulf Coast inspired dish for my blog. I decided to do a low carb Jambalaya, using cauliflower instead of rice. If you choose to eat grain, you could always sub in brown rice for a healthy whole grain. I actually really impressed myself with how close this tasted to the authentic jambalaya I had in New Orleans. This Jambalaya will absolutely be a part of my future weekly meal plans, as it was easy to make both the low carb version, and the rice version for my husband. This recipe makes 6 servings.
A Gulf Coast inspired dish with a low carb twist!
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 T olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup crushed tomato
- 1.5 T worcestershire sauce
- 1 T fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1.5 cups cooked chicken thigh, diced
- 1 piece of bacon, chopped
- Chopped green onion, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400. Place cauliflower on a foil lined sheet tray with olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss together and roast 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook bacon and smoked sausage until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the celery, onion, pepper, and garlic. Use the chicken broth the deglaze the pan.
- Cook vegetables until soft and onions are translucent. Stirring occasionally.
- Add crushed tomato, Worcestershire, and all of the spices.
- Stir in cooked chicken, sausage and bacon.
- Continue stirring about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve the jambalaya mixture over roasted cauliflower, serve hot. Garnish with green onion.