The warm weather has me on a salad kick and this was the salad of my dreams. I love the variety of flavors, colors and textures which all come together perfectly in this salad. This salad screams summer to me, with the bright colored watermelon radish topping and the addition of citrus to the vinaigrette which pairs beautifully with fig balsamic. My favorite part of this recipe was the vinaigrette dressing which I made using rosemary olive oil and fig balsamic vinegar from a local specialty shop. I truly felt nourished after eating this salad which includes a variety of healthful toppings, however I want to highlight specifically the health benefits of olive oil. Olive oil is rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants which nourish your body while helping to prevent inflammation. I love making my own dressing using high quality ingredients, as compared to store bought dressings which often use low quality oils and add unnecessary sugar. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking to nourish themselves, family or friends with a beautiful meal that tastes delicious.
Summer Salad with Orange Fig Vinaigrette
A fresh vinaigrette and bright watermelon radish make this the perfect summer salad.
Marinated Steak Ingredients
- 1 lb steak cut of your choice, salted and peppered
- 1 oz fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 oz rosemary olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, stem removed and chopped
- 1 T stone ground mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, stem removed
- 2 ounces rosemary olive oil
- 2 ounces fig balsamic vinegar
- Juice of ½ an orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup of coleslaw mix
- 2 watermelon radish, peeled and sliced thin
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
- ½ cup salted pepitas
- Salt and pepper your steak and set aside in a sealed container.
- Combine the rest of the marinade ingredients and pour over the steak. Allow to marinade in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In an oiled sautee pan over medium-high heat, sear steak for 2 minutes on each side, then cook in the oven to your desired temperature.
- While the steak is cooking, lightly saute the garlic cloves and fresh rosemary in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for the vinaigrette for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- In a blender, combine the sauteed garlic and rosemary, remaining olive oil and the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients. Blend until fully combined and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve the meal.
- When the steak has reached your desired temperature, remove from the oven and slice thin.
- Separate chopped romaine into even portions and add all salad toppings to each portion along with even portions of the steak.
- When ready to serve, add your desired amount of vinaigrette over each salad and enjoy!