Recipe by Featured Guest Blogger: Hourig
As a Lebanese-Armenian kid I grew up with this Lebanese soup as a staple meal every winter! I have fond memories of getting home from school and my mom heating this soup up to warm me up on the cold days. As I grew older I even shared this recipe with my husband’s family and made it with his grandmother on New Year’s Eve! To this day this healthy and warming soup is a staple in my recipe book so today I would like to share it with you!
The ingredients for this soup are all healthy and will make for a flavorful and tasty meal! The lentils are the base of this soup and are packed with protein and iron making this soup a great option for vegetarians! The swiss chard adds greenery and is filled with vitamins! This soup is also high in vitamin C with the beautiful lemon juice that is added!
Swiss Chard & Lentil Soup
A traditional Lebanese soup packed with protein, iron and vitamin C.
Ingredients1 bunch swiss chard
1 cup lentils
1 big lemon (juiced)
4-5 big cloves of garlic (sliced into thin pieces)
3 carrots quartered
4 tbsp olive oil
5 cup water
1 piece of pita bread (For Serving)
Salt to taste
- Rinse one cup of lentils in water
- Add lentils to a large pot with 4-5 cups of water and heat on high
- While the lentils are cooking
- Wash and peel 3 carrots and cut into little quarters
- Slice 4-5 big cloves of garlic into thin pieces
- Cut swiss chard into bite size pieces
- Juice one big lemon
- Add carrots, garlic and swiss chard to cook with the lentils
- Add 4 tbsp of olive oil to soup and let soup simmer for 20 minutes covered
- Add lemon juice and salt according to taste
- Stir soup and enjoy!
Serve with sliced pita bread and lemon wedge on the side!